Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The Great Steak Sandwich Hunt of '07

A few months ago, I heard that one of my favorite haunts, Daly's Drive-In on Eastlake, was going to be demolished at some undetermined point in the future. I used to eat at Daly's a couple times a week when I was a swinging bachelor in my rat hole apartment a few blocks up the street, but I hadn't been there in years.

I'd been meaning to go back for one of their fantastic steak sandwiches or some greasy fish n' chips, but hadn't found the time. But hey, look! I'm unemployed! Perfect.

It also worked out well that today is Fat Tuesday. As a C&E Catholic (that's Christmas and Easter to you heathens), it is my responsibility to make a visible, token effort to celebrate the Christian mysteries, so that means no meat on Ash Wednesday. As such, I figured today was the perfect time to have a final steak sandwich before Daly's makes way for some damn condos.

I schleped down to Daly's this afternoon through some pretty impressive winds and ordered my former usual: steak sandwich, onion rings, and a vanilla shake. I've gotten a little rusty, apparently, and forgot to have them take off the tomatoes (an ungodly fruit), but otherwise my order was just as it should have been.

And that first bite...oh yes, the memories came rushing back. The sweet dribbling juices of the late 90s came rushing back. If anything, the food had gotten better. The onion rings were crispy and the shake was thick. All in all, a satisfactory lunch.

I highly recommend anyone in the area to head down to Daly's before the wrecking ball strikes. And play a game of Pole Position for me.

No comments: